Monday, April 19, 2010

I Want to be James Dean Cool


James Dean at 24, the beginning of his career, is way cooler than I could ever hope to be in my entire life. This weekend I watched Rebel Without A Cause and was enamored with him. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. What makes him so cool? The James Dean official site describes him as the legendary hero with a legendary story; live fast and die young. For over half a century, he has captured the world with his casual style, unflinching look and rebel attitude. James Dean has defined the essence of cool and without-a-cause for generations. His star continues to shine brighter and brighter. Man how cool is that?! I can only hope that three of those words could ever be used to describe me.

Part of what makes him so cool too I think is the era. The 40's and 50's I think are facinating. It is a far cry from the world we live in today. Times were simpler, people just seemed to be so much cooler. Photographs made the world look flawless, casual attire made everyone so elegant looking. Just look at my grandma and grandpa's senior pictures, they look amazing. Is it the sepia tone that makes the world look so glamourous?

Poodle skirts, Elvis records, drive-ins, dives, and amazing hot-rods. Everyone seems to look back on their years in High School and remember actually enjoying it. Grandpa always talks about the cars from when he was growing up people still pay top dollar for those classic rides. Do you think we will be trying to buy back the Nissan Sentras and Chevy Tahoe's fifty years from now? Doubt it.

Can you imagine life with no cell phones, 500 channels on TV was unimaginable, Elvis hitting the scene, hollywood glamour. I'm sure there were stresses of everyday life but if I could choose anytime in history to back and grow up in I think it would be 1950 suburbia.

I like to think that if I had grown up in the 50's I would have been as cool as James Dean, maybe we could have even went steady.... a girl can dream can't she?


What do you think? Could I pass for a teen in the 1950's?
This is from '02 (my junior year of High School) for homecoming week we had a 50's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...