Sunday, April 25, 2010

Back on the Book Train

Book club fever is in the air! I am so excited for Thursday when we get to discuss my book pick Ladder of Years by Anne Tyler. I think it is going to be a really great discussion there are so many different sides you can take with this book, we have lots of discussion questions that will touch on life choices, family relationships, marriage/children and emotions. I am very excited.
I will admit that sometimes it is difficult to get into the reading mode but once I pick the book up or back up, I can't stop reading. It becomes an obsession and I will usually end up reading into the wee hours of the morning until I can no longer keep my eyes open. I was never a big reader, but enjoyed reading. I'd pick one up here and there. I am small time compared to The Page Turner but am thankful for book club to get me reading at least one book a month.

I don't think there is anything that compares to the satisfaction of finishing that last sentence, closing the book, and taking a breath and having that moment of reflection back on the book. It leaves you wanting more and wondering what is next. That said Book Club's next couple books are going to be some hardcore books.

Next month is Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. I was supposed to read this book in high school for a book report book, but read a few chapters decided it was too much, read the cliff notes, and passed my test. It's a difficult book to really get sucked into, very descriptive, but I am looking forward to reading it. I'm at a different point in my life, the economy can draw similarities from the depression and I'm intesrested to see what I think of this book 1- now that I am acutally going to read it 2- book club discussions always bring something new to your own point of view.

June will bring In Cold Blood by Truman Copote. I'm not completely familiar with the story but will be excited to discuss it none the less. I wonder if our discussion will take us to looking more at the murder itself and the motive and execution of those convicted for it, or looking more at Copote himself and his obsession with writing the book and if he changed the story to better suit himself.
I ordered the books off Amazon this morning and can't wait for them to get here! Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...