Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Book Club Night!

Book Club is the highlight of the month. After all the blah you know you have something to look forward to coming up. Book club goes like this... the hostess of the month picks the book and the place we go, we have dinner then discuss. Our book club is a small manageable number with a nice spread of ages and life experiences so everyone brings something different to the table.

We have discovered that it isn't really the book that makes the club it is the discussions we have. Since this discovery we have decided to rate the book prior to discussion then again after the discussion, because the discussion has been know to kind of boost the quality of the book.

This month we met at our hostess's house and we all brought something to eat. Delish, too much for us all. We got to sit outside enjoy this awesome weather [thank you mother nature.. you finally heard us!] and enjoy a nice Bud Light Lime and some margaritas! Thank you hostess for a great night!

So as you can tell by the picture this months book was Swine Not? by Jimmy Buffett [hence the margaritas]... yes Jimmy Buffet writes books.. who knew. So how was it you ask, well...
  

This was not one of our better solid books. I found this book to be more of a childrens book quality reading. The story is of a family who moves from Tennesee to New York and brings their pet pig. Chaos insues as the pig is no longer allowed to live in the swanky hotel where they live and their mom works.  The two children devise a plan to hide the pig and hang out all while the pig is trying to get out into the city unnoticed to find her long lost brother. You'll have to read to find out the rest.

This was the first book that I listened too instead of reading. I'll admit I probably won't listen to books for book club again, I felt naked without my book in front of me and was unable to flip through the pages. The narrator may have hindered my imagination and development of the characters in my mind but the book is told entirely in the first person and switched between the boy, Barley and the pig Rumpy. I think books like this are hard to keep up with when they are flipping back and forth between different narrators, I find myself having to stop and retrace what just happened to get caught back up.

Overall I was not terribly impressed with this book, I gave it a 2/5. Our discussion this time was not nearly as impressive as our last so I gave it a 1/5. I don't know if it was just the book was a huge deep discussion book as we have had in the past or the Bud Light Lime and margaritas but we seemed to be more interested in other conversations than we were in the book.. maybe it was our way of getting around an awkward book that none of us really terribly cared for.

For me I think I wasn't as excited because our other books have been so "deep" if you will and very thought provoking and fun discussions. Since book club has been going on since before the blog started I'll just catch you up on what we have read so far

The Shack by William Young = awesome life changing great book.. MUST READ
The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom = good book, add it
The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards = tonsil ejection didn't read it :(
Love the One You're With by Emily Griffin = book was good/really cute but the disussion we had about this book was so awesome... best yet.

Next month is my month to pick! We are reading Ladder of Years. Hope it's a good one! Happy Reading Folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...