Thursday, March 4, 2010

Have you made your picks?

We are in the midst of Award season if you were unaware. Red carpets, beautiful or sometimes hideous gowns, and Joan Rivers dolling out fashion advice. I love to park it on E! hours before the show begins to checkout the red carpet arrivals and critique their fashion like I think I have any myself (music starts playing) ok I'm rambling so without further adieu...

Here are my Oscar predictions for the major categories
Leading Actor- Colin Firth "A Single Man"
Leading Actress- Sandra Bullock "The Blind Side"
Supporting Actor- Matt Damon "Invictus"
Supporting Actress- Maggie Gyllenhaal "Crazy Heart"
Animated Feature- Up
Best Picture- Avatar

I went with Avatar for Best Picture not only because of the hype but also because I did actually see it and I didn't love it per say, but it was a good movie, amazing special/visual effects and completely unlike anything I have seen lately with movies. I used to go to the movies a lot but in recent times I haven't been as much so I don't have a whole lot to judge on. But it's an original idea and with all the sequels and remakes it was refreshing to see something different.

Best Picture winners can sometimes be surprising or maybe even an upset. Let's take a quick look back at the winners from the past:
2008 - “Slumdog Millionaire”
2007 - “No Country for Old Men”
2006 - “The Departed”
2005 - “Crash”
2004 - “Million Dollar Baby”
2003 - “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King”
2002 - “Chicago”
2001 - “A Beautiful Mind
2000 - “Gladiator”
1998 - “Shakespeare in Love”
1997 - “Titanic”
1994 - “Forrest Gump”
1943 - “Casablanca”
1939 - “Gone with the Wind”

It's hard to imagine that movies about hobbit folk can be compared to some of the great classics like Gone with the Wind and Casablanca... those movies are timeless. It's hard to imagine one day people will look back on Lord of the Rings and consider it a cinematic classic. Well good luck to all those nominated and I can't wait to tune in Sunday! and sidenote If anyone ever has a Oscar party I'd love to come, I've always wanted to go to one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...