Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Someone Forgot to Batten Down the Hatches


For you city folk, the above picture is what we, in a small town, like to call excitement. The whole city is a buzz with gossip, rumors, and gawking after the storm rolled through last night. This does not at all compare to the tornado in 'Page Turner's town, but it sure does give GC and the surrounding towns something to yak about.

Back story. No newsflash that we have had some weather in these here parts lately, rain out the wazoo and on top of the ridiculous too soon heat and humidity we have had the staple of summer, severe weather. [PS this week is lightning safety awareness week if you didn't know] About 11:30 last night the power went out across our humble little town (NO A/C! AHHH) and the rooms were lit up like the 4th of July with all the lightning. My cat was hidden under the bed from the claps of thunder and the wind outside would have blown you over I'm guessing and rain to boot.

As I try to get ready this morning sans proper lighting, things have calmed down, still no power though (how do the Amish do it). Walking out the back door I saw the first casualty, one of gma's tree branches hanging low from the ground. Driving the few blocks I did, the clean up had already began. Our main road was closed as the crews picked up the pieces of several large trees that were across the road. Tree limbs and branches were all over the place covering the streets with branches and confetti of leaves. I being an observant keeping my eyes on the road kind of driver (I think they bought it) I happened to miss the above picture on my way into work, which actually is weird because I have been admiring them building our new grain bin (they build the top first and add the rows to the bottom, who knew) go up.

Pay attention my city-dwelling friends... this is how you know you live in a small town. While I did in fact miss the sight this morning AND was at work in a town 32 miles away. I was notified 3 times today of the occurrence out at the elevator. First via photo from my dad... yes that's right, photographic damage of the carnage was already circulating. Someones husband sent a photo to the wife who works with my dad, who then sent it to all the GC folks at the insurance company... word travels fast in a small town. Second time was from my gma when I called to see if the power came back on, without even asking. Third time was from a friend who wanted to make sure I looked for it when I was on my way home... I know redic right. Small Town.

Then when I did finally get around to seeing it myself.. brace yourself another "You know you live in a small town moment" there was a line of cars out there stopping to gawk. I kid you not, there was a good line of cars coming probably from neighboring towns too, to come see what all the fuss was about. I swear it, that in itself is a sight to see.

Then the good stuff comes when I get home and ask gpa about. He always gets the lowdown. Everyday come 'bout 3:30/3:45ish gpa can be found out at the restaurant (that is literally what they call it, we have more than one food establishment in town, but where ever the farmers/old timers/old men go sit for coffee is 'the restaurant' but is said more like rest-rent) this is the place where all the old men go to gossip, really whoever said women gossip, you should here the stories I hear. This is a men's only gathering... but gpa got all the details....

It was about 70mph straight line winds that knocked that sucker right off its concrete base pulling out the fasteners, tore up all the jacks they had (since it's build from the top down, they jack up each row and add the new one to the bottom, I know it's weird) AND they only had one more row to go before they were finished. I guess they will be starting over huh. So on top of all that, there were semi trailers blown over and a tanker trailer blew over, and there are numerous trees down all over town.

So fact of the day... living in a small town and working 30some miles away, you will in fact learn of all events that are occurring in the small town. You will know about it, what really happened AND every rendition of she said/I heard and so forth, before the news crew has even been there. Thank you small town, I love you!

and PS our power came back on around 8am this morning according to gma, I know you were wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...