Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Unpacking

The movers were scheduled to be there for delivery of all my stuff between 8 9. So as we are getting up and ready at the hotel (which was right next door remember) I get a call at 7:45 "Hi Heather, this is so and so from the moving company we are here to unload your stuff, are you here?" Um no I'm not it's not even 8am yet, you guys are early, "I'll be there in a minute." I wasn't even supposed to pick up the keys until 8am from my landlord. So we headed right over and met the guys and the landlady to get this fun started!

Boxes, Boxes EVERWHERE! It's amazing how much space not a whole lot of stuff takes up. Everyone was so helpful! Mom, dad and NiBo are the best! 

The boxes have started to arrive! 



Look at all those great helpers! 

The most important (and expensive) cargo arrived safely! And now has a sheltered home in the garage, safe from all those thieves! 

Oliver is adjusting well to his new home, though he is a bit skittish still

Oliver even has his very own cat door out to the garage where his liter box is. He thinks it's his own special secret playground room

The fireplace mantle is lined with pictures from friends. Thanks for the presents! I have put them to good use.

My IKEA couch

Since we checked out of the hotel on Tuesday morning, we had to find a couch pretty quick or someone was sleeping on the floor. We had been using my bag chairs in the morning but you couldn't really sleep on them comfortably. I obviously didn't want to spend a million dollars on a new couch so where else to go but IKEA! 



We started our IKEA adventure off with a little breakfast. Let me tell you, for $2.99 it was delish! This trip was just kind of a look around trip since there wouldn't be room in the car with the four of us. So we looked and looked and decided on this brown couch, plenty big enough to lay down on and stretch out (a must!) As we meander through the store we picked up a few little things. Then when we get to the area where all the items are we located our aisle and bin number and looked up. No way that is going to fit in the car. We went to go check out a few others places to see if they deliver and had anything better priced.. no go.

So mom called IKEA and they said if you purchase before 4pm they can deliver the same day for $60. Not ideal but ok. So we get to IKEA and turns out we were looking at the wrong box which will totally fit in the car. So we pile this rather large box on the flat cart and make our way to the check out. As we are checking out the nice lady was like oh this is a very nice couch I have the same one, just one small problem, there are 2 boxes. (Crap) But she assured us the 2nd box was not as big, oh ok, I'm thinking a smaller box. I've never IKEA'd before so I'm not familiar with these whole pick your own box and put your own crap together situation. So she lets us check out and rings us up and just tells me to come back through her lane when I'm done. So mom is watching our box 1 of 2 while I go back for the other. When I locate the 2nd box it is the exact same size as the first box. Well Crap! 

Mom and I make eye contact and we have a mind conversation that this isn't going to work and we are going to need the delivery anyway. So she is heading over to the deliver counter. As it turns out whoever answered the phone told her wrong about the time to get same day deliver, and we were an hour late. Double crap. So we asked if there is anyway they could hold a box for us to come right back and get, luckily that is an option. So mom and I wrangle this giant box into the back of my car and we head for home with box 1 of 2. Dad and NiBo went back to pick up box 2 of 2. Nothing can be easy for us. We made 3 trips to IKEA that day.

Once we got 2 of 2 boxes back to the condo, it was time for the assembly to begin. Dad and Nibo did the assembling and I read the directions while mom supervised. It went together surprisingly easy. NiBo reports that it sleeps comfortably, but don't worry PT and OL, I have a nice futon for you ;) 

I'm sure you're all dying to see the full pictures of my decorated new home. But you'll have to wait a bit longer. I'm still unpacking a few boxes and getting everything to their place.

Yesterday we went to the zoo and hung out with the animals all day.  It's going to be weird to live in a place that has sunshine most of the time. Everyone I've met so far seems to really love it here, and came from elsewhere. So far we've talked to people from Ohio, Chicago area and the Best Buy man tonight was from North Dakota. The Best Buy man said monsoon season is coming soon, so that should be interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...