Saturday, January 5, 2013

Crash, Boom, Bang!

... also know as how we spent our New Years. Now that a few day's have passed and everything has been worked out and everyone is officially alright, here is the story of how we began 2013, in with a bang! 

Shortly before noon I get a call from NiBo frantic saying he just had an accident and wrecked his car.. it's pretty bad he said." Without hesitation I fly out the door still in my pj's and try to make my way towards where he was at. I wasn't speeding at all because the back roads were slick... but I still managed to go in the ditch and mess my car up too. 


Simon's first boo-boo



Thankfully NiBo is ok, just a little scraped up and sore, and a little bit of chemical burn from the airbag. The probe was not so lucky. Sadly we had to say goodbye to the '94 Ford Probe. Affectionately know as 'Herman' when he was mine, 'Taz' by A.Drama and NiBo knew him as 'Frank' short for Frankenstein (because at this point there were several swapped parts and nuts and bolts holding a few pieces together)

Herman came into our lives the fall before my 16th birthday, back in 2001. But this wasn't the first rodeo for Herman, back in 2004 he was totaled after a Jeep Cherokee got a probe in the rear-end (haha, get it?!) but with a few repairs he was back on the road. In 2007 when I upgraded the torch was passed to A.Drama, then on down the line to NiBo. 

My first accessory was a purple fuzzy steering wheel cover, which you can kinda see in the first picture. My upgrades to Herman included an upgraded bitchin' new stereo (it was a CD player, no need for a stock cassette) another convenience upgrade was a remote starter. I've never been lucky enough to have a garage so this feature came in very handy for several years. When I was in high school gas prices were not nearly as high as they are now and every Friday or Saturday night everyone would just cruise up and down main and make the loop. It's kinda sad that kids these days don't get to experience that. 

I have so many great memories of cruising main with my girlfriends blasting Backstreet boys and singing at the top of our lungs or stopping through McDonalds to get fries or through DQ to get a cone. Those days are gone and I basically just use my car now for travel back and forth to work, don't really have the leisure time money to spend just to go drive around and listen to music. It's kind of bittersweet losing the first car. But I'm glad Herman 'Frank' went out with his boots on and his legacy got to be experience by all my siblings. I chose good when I picked the shiny red Probe with the pop up headlights, that's badass when you're 16.

You were good to us Herman, may your belts never squeak and your oil never more leak. You will be missed (especially by NiBo since he is in a borrowed car now) Thank you for the great memories and may you enjoy that big parking garage in the sky! 

16 and can finally drive alone! February 8th, 2002

Cruisin' the town 

Herman weathered a good storm or two 


October 19, 2001 - January 1, 2013

2 comments:

  1. Glad you 2 are ok. Accident's are scary for you and everyone that knows and loves you . I didn't know you named you car . That's cool :) be safe !!! Hope to see you all soon.
    From : Dave R

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...