Monday, September 5, 2011

Austria: Salzburg Day 1

Salzburg is so beautiful! Definately my favorite place so far and I'd go back in a heartbeat. It was again a hot one, so I sweated my butt off. I'm hoping all the walking and hot sweating will help me work off the German food and then some.

Day 1 Salzburg:
After finding our hotel which was a few blocks from the train station and very nice hotel (for an extra 5 Euro you could get air conditioning, did I mention they don't really have air conditioning... or ice tea?!) Today we took a 4 hour lake and mountain tour which also included a 45min boat tour around lake Wolfgansee, saw Mozart's mom's house in St. Gilga, and walked around Salzgammergut. It was hot again this day :(

The mountains were so pretty, although I was a tad bit sad that they didn't have snow on top. I have yet to see snow cap mountains in my limited travels. The highlight of this town was St. Wolfgang pilgrimage church (the churches have definately been my favorite part of the trip so far)













When we got back to Salzburg we stopped at Mirabell Gardens before dinner. The Sound of Music was filmed in Salzburg and many scenes were filmed at Mirabell Gardens. It was so pretty with tons of flowers everywhere. You can see the fortress that guarded the city in the background if you look close.




We accidentially climed up all these stairs (and lots lots more) looking for the restaurant we were looking for, turns out it wasn't up there (after all the steps, this picture doesn't even do it justice but the view from the top of the 5 millions stairs was pretty looking over the city though) so we went to a beer hall and I had German sausages and potato salad. Yum yum!





Walking back to the hotel we got a cool view of the fortress at night and a few churches (that we would venture to on Day 2) I slept pretty well after all the walking.
Things I learned this day:
- Austrailias sometimes live in the State's for six months out of the year October-April and live in Florida, who knew?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...