Sunday, April 3, 2011

Who Knew 60 Seconds Could Be So Humbling

Sometimes you can give yourself way too much credit. I was this close to signing up for a 10k through the countryside in June but after tonight I don't know about that, I have until May 14th to try to kick my butt into high gear.

My dad and I have signed up for our high school's 'Biggest Loser Falcon Style' contest, so I have some extra motivation. I've been trying to watch what I've been eating but to become a contender I had to stop researching and planning and kick into high gear and put my planning into action, to the track I went.

I have the C25K (couch to 5k) and an ease into 10k app for my wonderful iPhone. I was so pumped when I found the countryside race and I'm thinking in my head I know I'm a little out of shape but I think I can handle the first week's training of the 10k no problem.... man was I wrong. Since my dad was joining me we took it slow and went with the 5k training, sounds simple enough right?! A brisk five-minute warmup walk then alternating 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes then a five-minute cool down, this is just week 1, it's only going to increase from here. Holy Moly is 60 seconds a long time, I am not in as near of good shape as my mind thought, lungs definately showed mind who was boss tonight. Towards the end I finally got to where I didn't think I was going to die.

This app is great though, you can listen to your own music and then the nice British lady will tell you when to run and when to walk (I may have walked a little longer on some) Ya gotta start somewhere right?

 My mind saw Prefontaine greatness..
My body said Homer Simpson...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...