Monday, March 7, 2011

It's Just Another Manic Monday

I finished Still Alice today, and it is a sad book. It's about Alice who finds out she has early-onset Alzheimer's disease. You follow Alice through the initial shock and realization that her memory isn't quite as sharp as it used to be. As a professor of Psychology at Harvard and only fifty years old you see the frustration and heartbreak as her and her family deal with this disease and it all happens so quickly.

My grandma on my dad's side of the family is dealing with this disease as well. It starts out with little things here and there and it's passed off as 'old age' then the forgetfulness becomes more and more frequent, then there is getting lost in a town you've lived in for many years to not even knowing your own children. It's heartbreaking for everyone, she gets frustrated and tries to remember it's not that they don't want to, they just physically can't remember. The saddest part is their is no cure, it's just as hard if not harder for the families watching a loved one suffer through this terrible disease and lose their independence.

If I ever get it, I hope to go out like The Notebook.... man that is a great movie and um hello Ryan Gosling. Yummo!

In other news, Monday you suck. Stupid, unorganized and last minute work flow changes are my enemy, oh and so are grumpy people who like to complain, you both do not put a smile on my face. Nor does my inability to overcome laziness and my severe lack of motivation. One of these days I hope to find the spark that is my motivation and self control. That is all, goodnight.

1 comment:

  1. Is "My Grandma on my Dad's side of the family," code for Old Lady & Page Turner.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...