Sunday, July 18, 2010

Boogity, boogity, boogity, let's go racing boys!

One may not fully understand the long-term damage that we just brought upon our dear friend FM. Taking an indigenous city girl to a dirt track race could have lasting implications on her life..sorry FM. To be fair we did warn her not to touch anyone because redneck/hillbilly can be contagious.


Our dear friend FM has been transplanted here from Miami, a land very unlike our own here, and ever since she joined us at the insurance company, we have been trying to get her acquainted with the local past times. We made her a list of "country-like" things we do in these parts for fun. Many moons ago she got frustrated with the list and has since thrown said list away.

But we got her back into the middle America thought process and talked her into joining us at the the dirt-track race. At first we did not tell her where we were taking her we just told her that on Saturday we were taking her to a race. Now to us locals we know when someone says they are going to the races we know what they mean. To a Floridian the first thought... and I quote "What kind of race, like a horse race, or pig races?" Thank you FM for going straight to the farm when you think race.

As we refused to tell her exactly where we were taking her she kept probing for info and eventually got "old lady" to tell her, which worked out better because then we got to fill her mind with the imagery of the types of things she could see at the races. Many of the things we told her were redneck/hick stereotypes exaggerations, but sadly weren't too far off. I can't wait to hear about her version of the story, but for us there were a few things that stood out from the night... I give you the Francesisms from the Races.

- "I wasn't expecting the brick roads, that was an added cuteness" (quoted after her arrival at my house and driving through our downtown area)

- "Oh my gosh, you are passing a car!" (FM has never passed a vehicle on a two-lane road, and was shocked that I was brave enough to do so, especially with a no passing zone approaching)

- "How dark are these roads at night?" (quoted as we are driving on the two lane road, leading us to believe she has never driven on road without street lights at night)

- "Oh well I guess I'll have to use my long light." (after we explained that you can only see as far as your headlights illuminate, long lights are also known as bright lights or high beams)

- "I was expecting it to be a little more white-trash" (after asking if it was what she was expecting. This is our fault for stereotyping to her, I'm glad her expectations were not met.)

- "Oh, I've never seen one this close" (after seeing a lightning bug up close)

- "Do we smell?" (legit question after sitting in the blistering heat, yes we might have smelled but not enough to be confused with a pigfarm, this was quoted after driving past the unmistakeable smell)

FM I really hope you had fun, we had fun with you! I'm glad we can help you acclimate to the local culture and hope we haven't scared you off for good and running back to Miami where the people have all their teeth. Thanks for playing and I hope you'll hang out us again! <3 HB

3 comments:

  1. Not all small town is racetracks. I'm small town quaint. When you want to experience my small town, let me know. We have an amazing Fall Festival. We have fantastic food, and we have so much cute you will not believe your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I literally have tears streaming down my eyes from how much I'm laughing. This has to be the funniest thing I've ever read. It was a great night! Thank you so much.
    Page Turner, I might take you up on that. Maybe we can get HB to join in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And this is the result after the years, the expense, and the drama to get her to wear braces!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...