Saturday, May 8, 2010

It's Prom Season

Earlier this evening we were busy getting my little brother all ready to go to his junior prom.. doesn't he look so handsome!?

Prom season got us to talking yesterday at work about proms. Our small town proms are a lot less glamourous than they are in the big cities. The discussion started with our question of the day.. "What is the average cost for a couple to go to prom" we thought about it... well the girls have hair, nails, dress, accessories.. boys have the tux, then there is transportation, dinner/tickets, flowers, pictures.. well the list can go on and on and on. The answer ended up being $1000!!

I went to prom three years, junior and senior year and my boyfriend at the time was a year younger so I went to his senior prom too. Our little GC proms consist of driving 30 miles to the big city one over having our dinner/prom there at a banquet center. Then we drive back 30 miles and have after prom in either the High School gym or the elementary school gym and cafeteria. Then sometimes we will all go to someones house for an after-after prom party which usually just consists of a movie night and everyone zonking out.

Junior year prom... I love this dress. My sister hated it when she saw it on the rack but it looked a lot better on. My prom day drama for this year consisted of about 15 minutes before my date arrived and I was hopping in my dress.. the zipper broke and I ended up having to be sew into the dress last minute. But everything worked out good. This year we went with several other couples and I have like 500 million pictures from my first prom.

My senior year prom.. My grandma made this dress. I'm not big on spending 300-400 dollars on a dress that I will only wear once and I'm a bit of a tom-boy so I'm not totally into the girly girl fancy dress.. although I do like getting dressed up a little more as I've gotten older. Prom drama for this year was the week before prom in a softball game I (must like I recently did, actually the exact same looking boo-boo) botched up my leg pretty good and the netting under my dress rubbed on my ouchie and hurt a bit but I got through. My dress was red and this year we took gpas red cougar to match!
To be comletely honest I don't remember the last prom all that much. I think it was kind of a last minute decision to go but I'm sure it was fun. I liked this dress too. My sister had the exact same dress for a homecoming in burgandy and I liked it and was excited to find it in black and white.

Proms are kind of lame not going to lie, but at the time they were fun and we thought we should at least partake in the high school rite of passage. The after-proms parties were kind of touch and go. I won a TV at one of them, I remember being so bummed because my name hadn't been called for any prizes yet (everyone gets a little something at least) but then my name was the last once called and I won a TV! I couldn't believe it.

I'm pretty sure proms have changed a lot even since I have been. We never had to be told there was a dress code which means things have gotten smaller and tighter.. kids these days are out of control. Well I hope my little bro is having a great time tonight and I can't wait to hear all about it. Does anyone have any good prom pictures or stories to share? I'd love to see your pictures and hear some good juicy stories. How about you Old Lady did you go to prom??

2 comments:

  1. I have some prom pictures from Junior and Senior year! I can bring them in tomorrow :) I love the red dress that your grandma made! Oh and I totally believe that it costs $1000 for prom. It's no joke. I can only imagine how different it was to have a prom in a small town as compared to a big city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I am "old" I don't get Prom. Someone needs to find an alternative to throwing money away on such a ridiculous event.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...