Saturday, April 12, 2014

AZ Easy Rider Status... Achieved!


Thursday was my one month anniversary as an Arizonian. The bike has been sitting in the garage since then, and how can I continue to be called 'Easy Rider' on the blogs when the poor bike hasn't even seen light of day since the end of Illinois Fall many many months ago?! Well today that changed. Go big or go home right? Well if you look at the map above of today's ride, I'd hope you'll agree that I went big for my first Arizona outing on the bike, and solo! 80 miles round trip today, the bank sign said 86° when I was coming back home and it felt every bit of it at the stop lights! 

Today's destination was Tortilla Flat, 17 miles of winding road through the mountains. The road started off easy enough, pretty smooth with a speed limit of 45. The further up and up you go however was a different story. The road is a two lane highway and like I said the further up you go the less ideal the road condition gets. It was pretty much a giant rumble strip most of the way. My speed up the mountain was about 25/30mph for the most part but some of those hairpin turns required less speed down to 10/15 in some places, hello clutch control! There were also two one lane bridges as you cross over the lake, one of which was an open grate steel bridge (that was a first!) the other was a concrete bridge. 

If you stopped to think about it, the road was totally sketchy, no guardrails and sheer drop offs, but keep focused on the road and you're golden. Luckily everyone else followed the speed limits too otherwise it would have been very intimidating. For the most part though I was the quicker one because I have a bit more mobility when it comes to the corners, lots of vehicles were towing boats. While there was a fair bit of traffic on the road, there was lots of space in between and no one was riding your arse. 

The views were so amAZing! These pictures don't even do it justice. A few miles after Tortilla Flat, the road turns into a gravel road, which I did not care to see. If you follow the dirt road on up the mountain you'll reach Roosevelt Lake. 

Canyon Lake lookout

When I stopped at the pull off for the Canyon lake lookout, a car of old folks parked and got out right beside me, I said hello and we commented on the bumpy road, then off I went. I thought it was cute that I saw them again up at Tortilla Flat (I had arrived before them) one of the little old ladies said "Well hello again!" She was cute! 

Arrived at my destination! 

Tortilla Flat Saloon

Uh oh, a gun fight! 

If you look close, there is a lady bathing in the water tower that he was shooting at, she was not happy, she shot the deputy! 

The walls are covered with money from all over the world!

My prickly pear cactus gelato! Yum! (bucket list item check!)

While I sat on the bench to enjoy my cactus gelato and take in the view, an elderly man from Canada inquired about my bike "Is that a Sportster you're on?" Then we talked about how the winter lasted forever for us both (I had told him I just moved out here from Illinois a month ago), it was his third time out here, he told me about the bikes he previously had and that his riding days are behind him. He then wished me safe travels and off he went, very nice fella.

A look at the winding road I just came up! 

Seriously... these views right? 



Saw lots of bikers on my way up and down, all giving the official motorcycle wave ;) Before I left, I made sure to check out the gift shop, and you know I was looking for postcards. Ka-ching! 5 for $2, boom! 

Easy Rider selfie

I always stop when I see a 'scenic view' sign

Yep, that was worth the stop! 

another winding road view

Not always a fan of an uphill start on the bike, but down and down we go! 


Did I mention the road begins with incredible views of the Superstition Mountains? That view alone would cause you to run off the road from staring. I had to stop to get a picture and seriously, this doesn't even compare to the real thing.


So there you have it, my Saturday 'Tales from the Road' Az adventure. The longest part was getting through town and all the stoplights! Ugh! I'm so used to long stretches of country road back home and never really had to deal with traffic, so that will take some getting used to. And let me tell you, stoplights = sweaty Heather. While all black looks cool, temperature wise it is very not cool. Glad I went with the mesh jacket option today, I thought about the leather jacket but I would have roasted! That mesh jacket was a very good investment! I was pooped when I got home and a little saddle sore, it's been awhile since I've rode and the rumble strip road was not comfy on the bum, I took a nice long nap with Oliver when I got back home. Tomorrow will be cleaning/grocery day, booooo! Hope everyone else had a great Saturday too, I hear it's finally warming up back home, yay!! 

4 comments:

  1. I am so impressed. There was once a Heather who never would have attempted that.
    We did some hiking on Superstition Mountain. It is beautiful. Page Turner

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great ride!! The photos of the views are sensational - that huge sky!! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Love the new blog subtitle and picture. LOVE.
    2. It was warming up back home. And now there's an inch of snow covering the ground. I wish I was lying.
    3. Those are so gorgeous views. I'm not sure I would be safe behind the wheel (or handlebars, I guess?) with all of that to look at.
    4. I told your story the other day, about how this brave girl from Illinois packed up for a new adventure all the way in Arizona. My friend thought you were so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Mrs. for that amazing compliment, and for talking me up enough that someone thought I was cool!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...