Monday, May 6, 2013

Dad's Birthday, Chicago Weekend and a Movie!

Whoa folks. I would have blogged sooner but holy moly was I pooped from this weekend! Dad's birthday festivities began with a shiny new bike on Wednesday night (we couldn't wait to give to him on his actual birthday on Friday, and were hoping he could get a ride in before the rain came, and we suck at keeping awesome secrets)

Friday: May 3rd
Happy Official Birthday Dad! Our resident cake decorator put this lovely design together, we all voted on the picture and NiBo came up with the quote from some war movie that dad likes. Mom and dad also spent the day shopping for new things for dad (and much needed) a few of these items included new sneakers, non-black athletic socks and not one but TWO new belts... whoa. That is big.




Saturday: May 4th
We headed up to Chicago via Amtrak to watch the Chicago Cubs take on the Cincinnati Red's. It's been a few years since I'd been able to make it up to a game so I was pretty pumped. The forecast had mentioned cloudy with a chance of rain so we had a backup plan to hit up the museums if it did in fact rain. But luckily the sun was out and it was a beautiful Chicago day, could not have asked for more perfect weather.


We got our obligatory picture in front of the marquee...




...had a footlong hot dog and brat. Yummy! 



... since it was Kentucky derby day, all the ladies got a complimentary derby style hat for the occasion.


... I took a panoramic picture from our seats.


... the Cubs were up then blew the lead with our closing pitchers. An all too familiar loss this season. I was sad.


... then they flew the loser flag and no one sang go cubs go :(


Then we had some time to kill before our train left for the evening. We stopped for some Jimmy Johns, then walked around checking out Grant Park and Millennium Park.


I had seen the fountain from Lake Shore but had never been up close... holy moly that thing is HUGE!


And I'd never been up close to see the bean either. So many firsts! Of course we had to get the reflection picture, our poor dad, we make him do alot of things.



My favorite thing about walking all over the city was seeing all the tulips, they are everywhere! I thought of you OL when I saw so many of them, beautiful! 


Sunday: May 5th
Iron Man 3 in IMAX 3D!!!!

My first IMAX adventure and I will say I was disappointed, the movie was EXCELLENT!! but at 16 bones the IMAX experience was a little rich for my blood. I'd just as soon go to the drive in to see a giant screen for $7, but that's just me. I was amazed my the hugeness of the theater  We had to walk up several flights, yes several, flights of stairs to get to our seats, and there was an elevator! Whoa. Go see the movie though and if you do make sure to stay to the end, there is an extra scene.


Whew, I'm just tired from telling you all about it again. Hope everyone else had a great weekend too! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...