Thursday, January 19, 2012

Humbled 2.0

Tonight was my first workout with my trainer. Since cardio is pretty easy to do yourself (yes I can make myself run on the treadmill) I'm using my trainer to help with strength training, so we will focus a lot on lifting weights.

That said I bring you....Humbled 2.0 version

I have a bone to pick with The Biggest Loser. I understand that it is a competition but I would appreciate if they made it more educational for those of us sitting on the couch at home watching. I think everyone can figure out the bare minimum stuff at the gym. The hardest part is the food part, what to eat, when to eat, etc. etc. I was excited to get to work at the gym tonight. By time I got home, I had just about enough time to get changed and mentally prepare myself for what was to come. Did I eat? No, why would you want to stuff your belly full when you are going to be working out. Um Hello!? Biggest Loser you should tell us they eat before they go to the gym. I got about 40 mins into my work out (we'll get to that later) and boy I could have either a)passed out b)puked c)all of the above. Luckily I had made a similar mistake before and knew my limits. My trainer must have noticed the pale look and asked when the last time I ate was. Well that would have been about lunch time :S So we talked a little bit about the diet that is needed with strength training. If you are going to be working on that kind of stuff you need to add more protein aka eat! So we cut the workout short with the promise that I would fuel up next time.

The biggest/hardest part about getting healthy is the diet part. If you are doing certain things exercise wise you can eat this, if you're doing this don't eat that. Holy crap, no wonder I'm obese, I'm too lazy to use my smart for this. Obese sounds like such a harsh word but according to BMI I am obese :( But that is going to be the change this year. I've already stuck with this more than I ever have. Everyone does something different and they are all wrong. You have to find your right, what works for you. Some people like to do those fad diets or this diet or that diet. I want to get healthier my way. Putting in the hard work at the gym and re-learning how to eat.

That whole being slightly obese thing doesn't really help when there are mirrors everywhere at the gym either. If there were no mirrors I'd feel like Marisa Miller just in for a light workout, curling 50lbs, no big deal. But instead catch a glimpse of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man wearing my clothes and lifting baby weights, oh wait that'd be me. Seeing things jiggle when you are working hard to make them not jiggle isn't as motivating as one would think. But jiggling in public is better than my skin fusing to my couch at home, so I guess it's not so bad considering what the alternative could be.

It's also slightly frustrating to not see the pounds coming off. I sweat and feel like I'm working hard but have yet to see the numbers drop. But I'll keep at it. Something's got to be going on considering I haven't worked out like this for years.

So for anyone concerned, my trainer didn't kill me. I'm still alive.... so far ;)


1 comment:

  1. You go girl!!!!! I see a new, proud, beautiful year ahead of my friend......OL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...