Saturday, July 9, 2011

Tale as Old as Time

A.Drama.B and I ventured off to the big city of Chicago today for a little sister trip. Work was offering a bus trip and ticket to see the play Beauty and the Beast and the price was too good to turn down, and when someone else is driving the Chi isn't so bad.

I'm a sleeper, I can sleep anywhere anytime anyplace so the trip felt like time travel to me, sleep, wake up and Bam! We're there. We were set to arrive with a couple hours to spare for lunch or what have you before the show started. For weeks we had been discussing our lunch options and knew where we wanted to go, someplace we've been meaning to hit up when in town but just never had the time... The World Famous Billy Goat Tavern.

You may be familiar with the Billy Goat Tavern from the SNL Skit...  Cheezborger, Cheezborger!



Or my fellow Cub's fans may be familiar with the Goat and the curse of the cubs.

We were not disspointed! When you walk in you are already being yelled at.. "Step Up, Step Up! Don't have all day, lady what you order" preparing myself ahead of time I knew what/how to order... "Double, No chips, Coke" Drama had the same. "Step down, step down! Make room. Here your double"

"Double Best" you really don't have a choice when ordering. After we were seated and enjoying our Double and Coke, it was hilarious to see the other tourists filtering in. One lady asked for a single the cook said "Ok Double!" then a group of other people came in looking at the menu and he said "what you looking at everyone in restaurant eat Double, order Double its best" That was the best part watching other people come in and try to order something else.

After we ate we had some extra time so we strolled around downtown and just wasted some time in the Windy City until it was time for our show. A.Drama.B is a Broadway in Chicago veteran, she had already seen Beauty and the Beast at one of the other theatres and she's seen Wicked and Fiddler on the Roof. Scoring some seats in the Orchestra level is definatley worth it. It always amazes me all the set props and backgrounds and how they can convey so many different scenes on the same stage.

The play was great! Beauty and the Beast is definately one of my favorite Disney movies and the songs are fantastic, and yes they've been stuck in my head all night. The theatre, The Oriental Theatre is gorgeous. I love all the old buildings that Chicago has to offer. It transports you back in time and all you can do is wonder what life was like back then.

All this made A.Drama.B and I more excited for her Bachelorette Party which will be taking place in Chicago coming in August. It's completely untraditional and more suited to things we like to do... you'll have to stay posted for all that... well I'll have to check my confidentiality agreement to see what I'm allowed to share. We are counting down the days til the wedding which is fast approaching and somehow consuming my life too?! I guess that's what I get for being head Maid.

Hope y'all have a great rest of your weekend! Monday will be here before you know it! Check the photo blog for a few more pictures from today!

1 comment:

  1. I have not been to a play in Chicago since I was a child. Now I want to go. Putting it on my imaginary bucket list.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...