Saturday, February 23, 2013

My Home Away from Home

Everyone spends more time during the week at work than we do at home. And as of late I've been spending even more time at work making a few extra bucks with some overtime. My average workday has been about 10 hours and 15 mins physically at work in the building, mostly at my desk. Then add about 45 mins each way for commute and I spend a good amount of time related to work. I try to make my little cube as homey as I can and thought I'd share with you, my loyal followers, a little more into my day.


The human cattle line herds into the building this way, you're lucky if you get into the front lot, which means you have to be at work like 10 minutes early otherwise you get to park in BFE and hoof it to the door. The above picture was taken on a particularly dreary day, but the sun hasn't been all that engaged with appearing lately. Beep your badge at the door, no tailgaters! and then you are on your way to your own little piece of paradise for at least the next seven hours and forty-five minutes. 


Here it is! My home away from home. I'm a neat freak when it comes to my desk. I like to keep everything neat and organized, everything has a place. Your desk should be representative of your personality but you don't need to have a crap ton of shizz all over the place. If you were to walk by my desk (which you probably wouldn't I sit in a dead-end in the corner of the department) I think you could get a good sense of what I like, clearly Notre Dame Fan, and I like Harley's. You might also notice my flag there on the far right. It works like a mailbox flag, if it's up, I'm at my desk, if you don't see a flag, you won't see me. [this was requested because you can't see my head over the wall and I'm so far away people liked to be able to see if I was there without hiking four miles and making a wasted trip, it comes in handy]


This is the majority of my eyeline here in my cube. You'll notice the iPod, a MUST to block out the annoying noises that you hear throughout the day. I have some eye candy up there, Luke Bryan and Dierks Bentley, it's nice to have something good to look at. Have to have a fan as well, you never know what the weather inside will be, hot then cold, then cold then hot, dress in layers. Motivational magnets up there on the right, just above the frequently used numbers. Yes that is a cat taped to the top of my monitor, I'm becoming quite the cat lady at work, I only have one and they think I'm bound for the crazy spinster cat lady land. A beautiful computer background is important for morale as well, right now mine is signs of spring, because I'm ready for the sun to come back. The lucky troll keeps a promising watch over me as I complete my daily tasks, and of course I had to have some Harley in there too.


Dr. Seuss's lost Poem, that man can really write from the heart. We love stuff like this, funny, ironic, and pretty much spot on. It's amazing how much life imitates art sometimes, have you ever seen 'Office Space'? Yeeeeahhhhh, I'm gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday too...


Here is just a close up on a few things you might have missed in the pictures. The top picture is how far away I am from the windows, another reason you need to keep your desk cheerful. Page Turner has a very lovely tree at her desk, ask her about it sometime.  In the 2nd row left, this is a collection of treasures sitting under my monitor. The green egg is silly putty, the little clogs are from a friends mom who went to Europe, the Alice 'toothpick' holder is from OL when she went to Disney, the Believe rock was the 2012 word of the year and served as a reminder, and there is a bottle from the Page Turner when she went to the Titanic museum in Branson. We try to bring back pieces of the outside world to those who couldn't get away at the same time.The picture next to it, is a collection of things sitting on top of my cabinet. OL hates those flowers I've had them since I started like five and a half years ago, she keeps telling me I need new ones. There is a pinewood derby car, a Dum Dum man I got with sucker wrappers, a secret santa Tiki fountain, an Eiffel tower replica I found at target for a dollar, and the penguin I painted at the pottery painting store, also some sand and shells from TT's visit to Florida as well. Then you'll find my treasure troll, the most AMAZING smelling lotion I've ever come across, and my Harley calendar.

Some could argue I have too much crap at my desk and that it looks like someone threw up random things on it. But I like to keep it bright and cheery and make it mine. Some people have way less, and believe me there are people who have way way way more stock piled and crammed onto every open space. I'm there more than I'm home and I like my desk just the way it is! Thanks for stopping by today and hope you enjoyed a little insight into my workspace. :)

2 comments:

  1. I swear I feel sick to my stomach just seeing that long, long aisle. A warning would have been nice. I think a tiny bit of the tree can be seen in the distance!
    I like your new colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always believed in you and what you can accomplish in life. OL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...