Thursday, February 14, 2013

In a Man's World

I am kinda sorta looking at new cars. I've had Simon for about 6 years now and we're up to about 140k, so it's not unreasonable that a new car is on the brain. Moreso I just want something new. Every so often (like every 6 months it seems) I think I want a new car, I always talk myself out if, but none the less we do this dance. Research, research, research some more, and then stop short of actually test driving anything, because at this point I have talked myself out of it and don't want to fall in love with anything. That all changed yesterday....

Remember I went to the car show? I saw all those new cars and that new car smell got stuck in my nose. It was like a drug, I need that smell I thought to myself. So yesterday I did the unthinkable.... I went to a dealership for a test drive.... BY MYSELF! Holy moly.

I should preface this story with the fact that I am a research-aholic. I check Edmunds, consumer reports, blogs, forums, anywhere you can think of to see what others think of the vehicle I am researching at the time. Working in a automobile industry I see the values of cars everyday. I checked NADA and even KBB and I knew where my car was valued at. I had checked the rates in the credit union, and I knew what I wanted my payments to be, so I knew about where I needed to be with the amount I finance. So to the dealership I went...

I was test driving the new Chevy Cruze. Which is nice, it's super fancy on the inside with touchscreen navigation/satellite radio, push button start, heated seats, remote start and on and on and on. It's smaller than my car though, and I rather enjoy my space. So after the test drive, while impressed with the looks, not a huge fan of the space issue, and the steering wheel doesn't telescope or move as much as I would have liked for my height and driving position. But humor me with your numbers Mr. Salesman.

While on the test drive the appraiser was looking at my car. Also Mr. Salepeople...know your audience. I realize a young female walking into the showroom alone would normally be a bulls-eye and you can pull out all your "girl" tricks. But sir, when I begin chatting you about the Corvette's in the showroom and inquire about the new Stingray, I feel that should have been a heads up. Also while on the test drive as I'm asking about other vehicles, I'd think you'd be aware that while not an expert, I am not dumb when it comes to automobiles.  Keep in mind reader that this was the first car I have test drove, even if I were in love with this car, I would at least need to test drive a competitor just so I don't get large purchase Heather buyers remorse which often accompanies large purchases (aka anything over $100 I analyze and do the whole, is this a want or a need chat). 

So.. time to talk basic numbers. Granted I know that my car has high miles, but having checked my sources I know what my car is worth. Your low ball offer of $2500 was an insult, telling me that is your best offer, leads me to believe that is your best offer. So... no go dear sir. My brain is on shutdown, I would like to go now.

After that offer, I did the whole need vs want conversation on the drive home. I think I'm going to stick with good ole Simon for as long as I can (which was my original plan when purchasing him, so why did I even dream I needed a new car) But I did take this as a great learning experience. Why do car purchases have to be who is the best negotiator? Why do you say that is your best offer when 1-I told you what I wanted for my car, then seem confused when I'm not pleased. 2-You could have "got me close" to what I was looking for but I "didn't want to deal" It's a confusing thing looking at cars. Why do we have to go through this exhausting ritual. Blah, it makes me never want to buy a new car. But like I said, I've learned something and will be better prepared when I really am ready to buy. And just because I go in alone, doesn't mean I should be treated any different, especially when I express that I'm not illiterate when it comes to cars, show a girl at least a little respect!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...