Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Illinois Friends Visit!

I am still catching up on sleep from my weekend of adventures! I had two very special guest in town for a visit, Page Turner and Old Lady and boy did we sure have some fun! 


Our adventure began Thursday night when I picked them up from the airport. I got to sit in the nifty little cell phone lot which had a giant screen with all the flights and which gate they were at... very handy! I took PT to her home away from home at Arizona's house, and OL stayed with me. Those two crazy cats had an interesting flight adventure but they were starving, so we stopped at In-n-out for a quick bite.

We let the visitor's sleep in a bit before we started our day on Friday. OL, PT and I had lunch at Lucille's Smokehouse for some yummy BBQ lunch. PT was feeling under the weather so we dropped her back off so she could get some rest and OL and I headed to Old Town Scottsdale for a stroll around the shops.


OL and I took a break from the heat and stopped into the Sugar Bowl for some ice cream! I have never been to a place where you sit down and get a menu full of ICE CREAM! What a dream come true! 


I had the Buster Brownie Super Fancy Sundae and it was WORTH IT! 

Friday evening we found ourselves at a two story Barnes and Noble to discuss a book we had picked for our inaugural Arizona Page Turner meeting, we read The Shack. Did we really read it? Well I didn't and if the others did we sure didn't talk about it, we did talk a bit about books, but mostly it was just enjoying each other's company in the comfy chairs at Barnes.

Saturday morning we headed north, driving through Sedona on our way to Jerome. (Thanks Arizona for driving!) Along the way we started talking about the Saguaro cactus. Did you know that a 10 year old saguaro cactus may only stand 1.5" tall?! Or that a cactus with 5 arms would be about 200 years old?! Neither did we... thanks google! So many fascinating facts about the saguaro, check it out if you have time! 

It's easy to tell why Sedona is called Red Rock Country, just look at the beautiful red mountains! 



We thought this wispy cloud looked like a feather! 




As we continued our road trip adventure, we arrived in the old copper mining mountain town of Jerome, did I mention it's haunted too? 














Sunday was our last full day and I wanted to make sure OL got some good ol' fashioned sight seeing in so I took her to the desert... the place she said she would never go and we also drove up past the Superstition Mountains to Tortilla Flat! 


The Superstition Mountains are my favorite! They just look different than all the mountains around here... just look kind of ominous! 

up close and personal with a very pretty cacti


Did I mention we were standing literally in the desert and it was like 112°




Canyon Lake


We ate a light lunch at the Saloon in Tortilla Flat (the last stage coach stop on the Apache Trail) If you remember from when I rode my motorcycle up the rumble strip road to Tortilla Flat, I mentioned that the walls are covered with bills from all over the world. OL and I had to leave one of our own to commemorate our trip! So keep an eye out if you ever find yourself in the saloon at Tortilla Flat!


Sunday just happened to be PT's birthday as well. We got the whole IL work gang back together for dinner at the San Tan steakhouse. This place was not only very yummy but a really neat place as well. There was in the inside restaurant part but then when you went on through to the outside there was a whole outdoor area with live music, your own personal bon fire for making s'mores and an outdoor bar area. Awesome! It was weird that it was still about 95° but compared to the 112° it had been it actually felt really nice. OL even commented that it really is a different kind of heat our here! 



The whole gang back together again! 

I'm so glad I got to see my friends OL & PT again, I have missed you guys! I love that we still talk to each other on a regular basis and the four-way emails leading up to your trip out were the best! I hope you both enjoyed your time out here and really did get to relax a bit. I can't wait to see you guys again real soon! 

Now the countdown is on for the siblings to visit!! Only 16 more days!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...