Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Pinterest Project: Mason Jar to Go


My very first non-food Pinterest Project! The mason jar to go glass. Super easy to make and only costs $1.85. My only complaint is the condensation, but other than that it's totally cute! We threw around the idea of a knitted sleeve (but I don't know how to do that) or some kind of fabric wrap, maybe some burlap and a cute gingham bow (I just now thought of that!) 

What you'll need: 
Supplies
- Mason Jar any size (mine pictured is a Quart jar)
- 2 #14 finishing washers (got them at Ace $0.14 each)
- reusable straws (I found mine at our Alco store, Starbucks sells them too) 

Tools
- hot glue gun
- something to punch or drill a hole in the top of your lid

Directions: 
1. Wash your jar and straw obviously.
2. Drill a hole in the top of the lid (I used the drill press, but you can use a hammer and nail or something fancier)
3. Take your finishing washers and fill the inside with hot glue. I found it best to fill in a layer of glue first, then let that cool. Then go ahead and fill in another layer of glue (since it's kind of deep) You'll do this for the top and bottom of the lid.
4. Let your glue dry and bam you're done! Enjoy!

I'm not 100% on how the hot glue will hold up after washings but I'll keep ya posted. 

Update:  I am having problems getting the hot glue to stick to the top of the jar lid. While the top piece is more for show, I appreciate it being there to help give a finished look. I tried scoring the top of the lid around where the glue would go to give it something to stick to but no luck. Man they just make it look so easy on Pinterest don't they...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...