Thursday, September 6, 2012

Book Club: The Dry Grass of August

The Dry Grass of AugustTonight was book club night, this month we read The Dry Grass of August (my pick) If you know me at all, I procrastinate. Even though this was my pick and I've had a month to read it, I read it all last night.. that's how I roll.

I can't remember where I came across the review for this book, but it said if you like 'The Help' you would like this book. It's set in the south in the 50's during the violent times of segregation. Like the help, the story centers around a family struggling with their own demons and secrets as well as dealing with the maid/nanny is the growing violence of segregation. 

We had a small group tonight, just four of us. But to my surprise, I got a 5 out of The Page Turner, this is a big deal to me, not only had she not read this book already of knew about it but it got a 5 from her, a 4 from the rest of us and led to a great discussion. I was proud. We talked about work, we talked about other books and we even mentioned politics a bit. Next month we are reading 'Conversations and Cosmopolitans' by Robert Rave.

1 comment:

  1. You did way good! I had not read a really good book in a long time! You should be proud. Not because I loved the book, because you found a great book for all of us to read!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...