Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Lately

Lately I have found myself completely distracted within the depths of my own mind. I'm constantly distracted by thoughts of change and ways I want to better myself. I keep thinking of all the things I want to accomplish in the new year. I love the new year because although it seems cheesy and cliche', its the perfect time to sit down and evaluate and reflect.

I know I might be jumping the gun here, but I've already got an early start on one of my goals, simplify life. And my first step was deactivating my Facebook. Gasp! I know, how will I survive. I'm actually really looking forward to it, it will be nice. I've given up Facebook for lent before so that was 40 days. My first goal is to go 3 months without Facebook. This may sound completely trivial but I spend way too much time just sitting and staring at the newsfeed waiting for it to update in a social media zombie stare. I mean lets be real for a second, realistically if the Walking Dead Zombies were to have just their basic instincts intact most of them would probably just sit and stare at their computers or smart phones, that's pretty much what this generation does anyway and people could probably easily confuse them as zombies, instead of moaning brains they would more likely be speaking in internet meme's and making grumpy cat faces.... but I digress. 

Phase 1 one of 2013, simplify. I mean I always have time for Facebook and have severely neglected my blog, and sadly one of my goals was to blog more. I have like 60 posts this year, that is like 5 a month, pathetic. What happened to the other like 360 days? So I promise since I'm on Facebook hiatus, there will be more blogging. Easy... try to contain yourself. They may be short and sweet, but I'll come up with something to keep us all entertained.

The tradition I started last year, choosing one word to focus on rather that making specific goals, will continue again this year. I have already chosen my word. I've researched this a little bit and from what I read people really do well with these kinds of resolutions. You can fail and still be succeeding at the same time. I will share my word a little closer to the new year to keep you all in suspense. But here is a little story to kinda explain how the 2013 word came to be and goes along with the whole wanting to change and how small things can make a big difference without really even thinking about it.


You see just ten weeks ago I decided that I wanted to grow my nails out. I have always been a biter/picker of my nails and the only time I've ever had pretty nails was when I had fake ones put on once for a homecoming and once for a prom. I always felt that my stubby little nails were too short to look pretty with polish on so I never wore any, but always kinda wanted to. So one day I said maybe if I have polish on them I will be less apt to pick at them. So for $10 and a few coats of OPI Lincoln Park After Dark I went to the salon and had my nails painted (I'm really picky about how my nails look, I've mentioned this, I don't want them to turn out looking like the blind man down the street did them, so I pay people) Then something happened. Whenever I would get start to want to pick and bite I would see the polish, cuss myself and fight the urge of boredom or stress, whichever it was at the time. And before I knew it, I was no longer a nail biter/picker and now have nails long enough that I feel more girly and get to wear pretty polish. I've fallen in love with the Sally Hansen Salon Effects strips which let me do my nails at home without being streaky or messy and looks halfway professional.

This may seem like the smallest thing in the world, but it's given me proof that under all my excuses I am capable of change, be it a small one in the scheme of things, but it's change. Changing a habit I've had for as long as I can remember was kind of difficult at times, but now I wonder what else I can accomplish... stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...