Monday, June 13, 2016

The Last Man on the Moon

Tonight while perusing the newly added movies and shows on Netflix, the documentary 'The Last Man on the Moon' caught my eye. 

The documentary follows the last astronaut to step foot on the moon in the final Apollo mission in 1972.

As I watched of course I was enamored by images and the thought of what it must have been like to be one of the few humans who have ever stepped foot on the face of the moon. 

The thing that unexpectedly struck me, even with the mind blowing thoughts of space, was a simple shot of the astronauts being welcomed back and a ticker tape parade in their honor. 

It saddens me to think that I live in a place where my generation has not stood together united as a nation for something so wholesome and hopefully optimistic about the future as my parent's generation did with the space programs. My generation has only stood in united somber and remembrance as tragedy after tragedy has befallen our great nation. We have stood numerous times together as a nation in mourning. Even as I sit here and try to think of a time when we have stood together united in happiness the thoughts escape me. 

Even though it's hard to see past the sadness and to feel hopeless for the future, I remain hopeful that in my lifetime I will be able to see our country united as one for a happy reason that betters all of mankind. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...